Lazy Sunday on CPH BLONDE – reader’s request: Well, hello there! I was asked by blog reader Thalia to make a post, about how to cook a lovely Danish dish. While this is not a food blog, delicious food is definitely part of Fabulous Copenhagen Lifestyle – so here we go :P
To be honest, I’m not a great cook myself. Not even a good cook. Shhh… alright, let’s just admit it: I’m lousy! However, I love to eat.
And today, on the request of Thalia, I’m happy to share one of my favorite Danish treats with you: The lemon moon cake.
The lemon moon cake is tart and sweet at the same time – love it. As revealed I’m not being able to give you a self-made recipe – haha – but here’s a recipe I know, baked by someone else and eaten by (lucky) me:
Irma Krydderiet’s Lemon Moons
200 g butter
200 g sugar
100 g marzipan
1 organic lemon
150 g flour
1 tsp baking powder
Baker’s Joy for the form
1 tbsp lemon juice
3-4 dl powdered sugar
1 organic lemon
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 175 C.
- Cut the butter into small pieces and place in a bowl.
- Add sugar and beat with an electric mixer.
- Grate the marzipan and beat it in.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time. Don’t panic, if it separates a bit. It will gather itself together again.
- Finely grate the lemon rind into the dough. Avoid getting any of the white in, as it’s bitter.
- Blend flour and baking powder in a bowl and fold it into the batter.
- Spray a 24 cm round form with Baker’s Joy.
- Place the dough in the form and smooth it out.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and cool completely.
- Place lemon juice in a bowl, mix the powdered sugar into it until you’ve got a thick glaze.
- Ice the cake with the glaze and garnish with grated lemon rind.
- Let the glaze harden, cut the cake in two halves to make the “moons”, and serve.
Hope you like it, Thalia – and velbekomme, bon appetit to you all :)
Peace & Love,
Ps. Lemon moon cake is available in most Danish stores – but the homemade ones will tell you the difference between good and great.Reader's request: Favorite Danish dish - oh, Lemon Moon Cake!,